EFCA at a Glance (2022)
This graphic document provides an overview of ministry within the EFCA with details about the scale and scope of ministry in 2021-2022.
The EFCA—or Evangelical Free Church of America—is a family of self-governing churches united around the same core beliefs. Together, our mission is to glorify God by multiplying transformational churches among all people.
The EFCA began in 1950, when two collections of churches—the Norwegian-Danish and Swedish Evangelical Free Church Associations—merged together to form one Evangelical Free Church of America. Today, there are more than 1600 EFCA congregations across the United States, and they come in all shapes, sizes and locations—from small towns and suburban neighborhoods to major metropolitan areas.
Our churches are supported by 17 regional districts that provide resources, expertise and networking for local pastors and leadership. Those districts are then supported and resourced by the EFCA National Office in Minneapolis.
Together, we strive to follow Jesus’ commands to love others and make disciples of all people, both here in the U.S. and around the world. Globally, the EFCA recruits, trains and supports more than 600 missionaries in more than 50 different countries across five different continents.
In partnership with U.S. churches and native-led ministries, we do things like:
- Help meet physical, educational and spiritual needs of children through child sponsorship
- Respond to global crises with physical aid and spiritual hope
- And send groups and individual young people around the world to learn leadership skills while making disciples
On a national level, we:
- Support and equip pastors and leaders within their local contexts
- Provide training and host events for student ministry leaders and youth groups
- And lead nation-wide ministries to promote ethnic and cultural diversity and share Christ’s heart with the marginalized and oppressed
All of these different avenues lead back to one main goal: church multiplication. Whether it’s global missions, crisis response or student ministry, at the EFCA, everything we do aligns with our mission to glorify God by multiplying transformational churches among all people. Through the body of Christ, we want to see God transform every community, every neighborhood and every individual with the power of the gospel.